Views: Harry Potter

Friday, December 16, 2005

Harry Potter

A colleague recently lent me a friend's 'Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone'. I know that this is a very famous book ... over the past months I could see the very wide publicity it has obtained in the media and the number of awards it has received from both sides of the Atlantic. I decided to read the book despite never really have a strong interest in fantasy stories (I recalled browsing through a friend’s 'Wizard of Oz' almost 10 years ago but could hardly understand even ten percent of a page!).

As I read through, I discovered that it is a story for adult even though the main target audience is for children. The story is so graphic that l can imagine every little detail. It took me only a few days to finish the book. The English is so simple yet the story is so exciting that I can't take off my eyes from the book.

I don't normally find it easy to finish a book in ashort period of time. I have quite a number of unreadbooks, mainly on Islam. Most of the time, I only managed to read few pages of the books. Thereafter, they will be on the bookshelves until I can spare my time on them again or until I have the need to refer to them.

All of us know that it is very important to continuously seek knowledge, particularly on Islam.Knowledge is the key to any success. And to play in building Islam to its former glory require everyone of us to be equipped with some level ofknowledge.

I didn't know that I knew so little about Islam untilI started to learn a few years ago. Have l not started this learning process, I would have thought that I have known enough to be a good Muslim. As the saying goes, the more you learn, the more you will discover how little you know.

Of course, reading is only a part of any efforts in seeking knowledge. There are many other means - formal class, lectures etc. that we can participate. But being busy as we would always reason to ourselves, reading is probably one of the easiest option to learn.

"Bacalah dengan (menyebut) nama Tuhanmu yang menciptakan. Dia telah menciptakan manusia dari segumpal darah. Bacalah, dan Tuhanmulah yang paling pemurah. Yang mengajar (manusia) dengan perantaraan kalam. Dia mengajarkan kepada manusia apa yang tidak diketahuinya” (Al-Alaq: 1-5).

(Written on 1st July 2001)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should we simplify the language in Islamic book so that people will finish up the reading and will refer from time to time those important books?

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!